A virtual debit card like the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Credit Card can provide additional security and flexibility with your finances. Virtual cards are digital versions of physical cards linked to your account. They have unique card numbers, so you can easily track purchases and cancel cards if compromised.
Chime’s virtual debit card is free with all accounts and easy to add to your digital wallet for contactless payments. Follow this guide to get started with the Chime virtual debit card.
Key Benefits of the Chime Virtual Debit Card
|Free with all accounts||No need to upgrade your account to access the virtual card|
|Unique card number||Helps track purchases and prevent fraud if number is stolen|
|Contactless payments||Use with digital wallets like Apple Pay for easy tap-to-pay|
|International use||Make purchases worldwide wherever Visa is accepted|
|Security controls||Freeze/unfreeze card or reset number as needed|
|FDIC insured||Up to $250,000 coverage through The Bancorp Bank|
Step 1: Add the Virtual Card to Your Chime Account
Adding a virtual card is quick and easy in the Chime mobile app:
- Open the latest version of the Chime app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Tap on your profile icon in the top left corner.
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Choose “Order replacement card” under the “Debit card” section.
- Tap on “Virtual card” and confirm you want to add one.
It will now appear in your account with a unique 16-digit card number, CVV security code, and expiration date. You can view or freeze this card anytime under “Debit card” settings.
Step 2: Add Your Chime Card to a Digital Wallet
Image Credit Chime
To make contactless payments, you must add your Chime virtual debit card to a digital wallet app like Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, or Fitbit Pay.
Here are instructions for adding a Chime virtual card on Apple and Google devices:
Add Chime Card to Apple Pay
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone.
- Tap the plus (+) icon in the top right.
- Select “Debit or Credit Card”.
- Use your phone’s camera to scan your Chime virtual card number or enter it manually.
- Follow the prompts to verify your identity and security code.
Your virtual Chime card will now appear in Apple Pay, so you can make payments by holding your iPhone near contactless readers.
Add Chime Card to Google Pay
- Open the Google Pay app on your Android device.
- Tap the card-shaped icon in the top right.
- Select “Payment cards”.
- Choose “Add new card” then pick “Debit or credit card”.
- Enter your Chime virtual card details manually or scan your card number.
- Follow the prompts to add your billing details.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
Once added, you’ll see your Chime virtual card in Google Pay next to your other cards.
Step 3: Use Your Virtual Card for Purchases
Image Credit Chime
Now comes the fun part – using your Chime virtual card! Since it’s linked to your Chime Spending Account, you can make purchases anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted worldwide.
Here are some ways to use your virtual Chime debit card:
- In apps and websites: Enter your Chime virtual card number, expiration date, and CVV when making an online purchase.
- Contactless payments: Hold your phone or enabled device near a contactless terminal to pay by tapping.
- Voice assistants: Link your Chime virtual card to Siri, Google Assistant, or Alexa to make hands-free payments.
- Over the phone: Provide your Chime virtual card details when paying over the phone.
- In stores: Add your virtual card to Apple Pay or Google Pay to tap and pay at contactless terminals. Or use your physical Chime debit card and payments will process the same.
- International: Virtual cards work worldwide, so you can purchase them while travelling or on foreign websites.
Your available balance and transaction history will update instantly when using your virtual Chime debit card. You’ll get the same fraud protection and spending insights as the physical card.
Step 4: Manage Your Virtual Card Security
Chime offers robust security controls so you can customize and manage your virtual card usage:
- Freeze/unfreeze card – Instantly freeze your virtual card if misplaced or to prevent unauthorized use. Unfreeze when ready to make a purchase again.
- Reset card number – Get a brand new card number if you suspect the current one is compromised. The old number will immediately stop working.
- Set transaction limits – Choose daily purchase and withdrawal limits for added protection.
- Transaction insights – Review detailed merchant names, locations, and spending amounts for virtual card purchases.
- Get alerts – for everyday card activities like payments, withdrawals, deposits, and more.
With these controls, you can lock down your virtual card when not in use and tweak security settings to fit your needs.
Step 5: Use Chime Credit Builder to Build Credit
An added benefit of the Chime Credit Builder Visa Credit Card is you can build a credit history with responsible use.
Here’s how it works:
- Make deposits to your Credit Builder Secured Account to establish your credit limit. This sets aside funds to secure your line of credit.
- After deposits are made, Chime reports your Credit Builder account to the major credit bureaus.
- Make on-time monthly payments from your Spending Account using your Chime Credit Builder card. This helps establish a positive payment history.
- After 12 months of on-time payments, you may qualify to graduate to an unsecured Chime Credit Card.
Using your virtual Chime Credit Builder card responsibly helps establish credit through on-time payments and credit utilization – allowing you to build scores for financial milestones.
Get the Most from Your Chime Virtual Card
Chime’s virtual debit card unlocks flexible spending and enhanced security. Follow this guide to seamlessly integrate the card into your digital wallet and everyday purchases. With responsible use over time, the Chime Credit Builder card can also help establish your credit. Sign up for free and start maximizing the benefits of a virtual card today!
Read Also : Can An Iphone Be Tracked Without A Sim Card